Saturday 3 March 2018

Country Blue Houndstooth Fairfield Button-Up Shirt


My son received my second version of the Thread Theory Fairfield Button Up Shirt in the mail yesterday, (you can see my first version here), and he graciously sent me photos so I could see how it fitted.


For this version I went up a size as the first version was a little snug, (luckily still wearable, as it was made in a stretch poplin). I cut a size Medium grading down to a small below the chest. He is quite slim, but has very broad shoulders. I also lengthened the sleeves by 2.5 cm (1 inch) and lowered the button/buttonhole placement by approximately 1.25cm (1/2 inch).


The fabric is called Country Blue Houndstooth shirting from The Remnant Warehouse. It is a poly cotton blend which pressed well but tended to pucker a little when sewing which was a little annoying and made it difficult to get a great finish. I don't know why I don't learn as I had a similar, but worse experience with a polycotton gingham way back in 2014 (by the way, that shirt has had a lot of wear, and is still a favourite in my wardrobe).


I did remember to take a few photos of the shirt before posting it, so here are a few closer shots of the details.




After discussing the fit with him over the phone, the only other change I would make for the next one is to raise the pocket placement by a couple of centimetres, as he felt it was a little low. I'm so glad it fitted well and the changes I made were an improvement on my first version. Now I should be able to make future versions knowing that they will fit without worry.


He was probably way out of his comfort zone asking a fellow student to take these photos for me, hence the absence of a smile, but I am forever grateful.

Now back to some selfish sewing...a dress for me.

Happy Sewing

Jean

22 comments:

  1. Very nice shirt! And a very thoughtful son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what she said, very nice shirt. You might want to consider omitting the very last button on the shirt. If you look at RTW men's shirts, buttons don't normally go lower than a few inches below the waist.
    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks theresa. I totally agree with you about the bottom button. The pattern included this button, with the buttonhole running horizontally instead of vertically like the others. It doesn't seem necessary and would look better without it particularly if the shirt was to be worn untucked.

      Delete
  3. that shirt looks fantastic, and a great fit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth. Now I have the fit right, I should make him a few more.

      Delete
  4. Great job. Looks fabulous.

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As with everything you make, this shirt is no exception and looks great! What a blessed son to have a mom who makes him custom fitted shirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nursebennett for your very kind words.

      Delete
  6. Your beautiful son's posing made me smile - they consider it such a chore, but do it to keep their mothers happy! This shirt is so superbly executed Jean. The details you've shown us are beautiful. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue. He was probably feeling very awkward having to ask a fellow medical student to take the photos to send to me.

      Delete
  7. Great fit! And how sweet of your son to send these pics. I think he deserves another shirt for the posing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne. I already have plans to make him another shirt, and yes, he does deserve another one.

      Delete
  8. Its a beautiful shirt. The sleeve plackets are so tidy. Is the inner collar stand on the bias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I love it when the plackets turn out well. I didn't cut any part of the collar on the bias. I think the mini houndstooth plays tricks on our eyes.

      Delete
  9. This is a great looking shirt so you will be able to make more now in better quality fabrics. You must be very proud of your son, it is a very demanding profession he is choosing...and you are making just the right sort of shirts! I too have found poly cotton tends to pucker - years ago there was more cotton than poly in the mix, but I think in recent years it has become more poly, hence the puckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz, I will stick to 100% cotton in future. I am very proud of my son as he is a very hard worker and very dedicated to becoming a doctor.

      Delete
  10. Everything about this awesome looking shirt shows great tailoring and sewing skills! Perfect fit and so well-made you must be so proud of your hard work, as well as your hardworking son. I think it is so sweet he posed for pictures for you this way. :)

    ReplyDelete