Wednesday 13 December 2017

The Year of the Sleeve

Fabulous sleeves of all shapes, sizes and design have featured heavily in the fashion scene this year. I have made Vogue 8945 to dip my toe into this fun trend.


I have had this pattern for over a year, and now I am kicking myself for procrastinating so long. Vogue rate this pattern as "very easy" and I would agree. On the pattern envelope it is described as a semi fitted dress, with neck and sleeve variations and a back zipper.

Vogue 8945
I made view B with the V neckline and the sleeve flounces, in a size 14. I love the fit of the dress. The back vertical darts give just the right amount of shaping and the front skims across the body without clinging to any bulges. It is quite flattering on my body shape.


The only alteration I made to the pattern was to only add one flounce, and instead of hemming the flounce, I lined it with the same fabric. This eliminated the need to sew a narrow hem and stopped the wrong side of the fabric showing, so was a great solution all round.


The fabric is a printed polyester georgette from Spotlight. I think this is the first time I have sewn with georgette and although it was a little tricky, it behaved quite well. I used a rotary cutter to cut the fabric and this resulted in quite accurate cutting, as the rotary blade does not lift the fabric like scissors can do. I used an invisible zipper and it turned out ok. It is a little wavy, but this busy leafy print is a great camouflage for any wonky sewing.
 

I stabilised the neckline with some narrow cotton tape which worked well, eliminating any stretching of the neckline. I used french seams to create nice neat insides and also because the georgette is a little transparent and I didn't want overlocked seams showing through. I didn't line the dress, but it was necessary to wear a slip underneath. The hem was hand stitched.


These photos were taken in a rush last weekend, just before we left home for my work Christmas party. I think this dress will get a few more wears this festive season. I'm loving those swishy sleeves and I'm thinking this pattern could be easily adapted to make a top too.

Happy Sewing

Jean

30 comments:

  1. You are right...this dress is very flattering! Lovely lady, lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely dress. Lining the flounce with self-fabric would have added to the satisfying swishiness of the sleeves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful dress. Georgette is much easier to sew than chiffon, but still has that nice sheer effect. Happy wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz, I think I will sew more georgette now I have tried it and found it not as difficult as I had imagined.

      Delete
  4. I love it! looks great on you and great use of that fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth. The fabric is not exactly what I had in mind when I went shopping for it, but I'm happy with the result.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely dress and the sleeves look quite practical at this length. I always imnagine long, fluttery sleeves dipping in the washing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh Megan. These sleeves are a great length and did not fall in my dinner or the washing up.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress! The colour is lovely and the shoes are gorgeous. A perfect dress for the festive season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I bought the shoes for my wedding three years ago and this is only the second time I have worn them.

      Delete
  7. So lovely and festive! I like the look of your single lined flounced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne. It was necessary in this fabric as the wrong side would have looked awful showing.

      Delete
  8. Love. Love. Love. That color is gorgeous, the fit is perfect and the sleeve makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so pretty and fashionable. I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen. I don't usually follow trends, but I love this one.

      Delete
  10. Oh, that's very pretty! Love the fabric you chose. I will have to seek out this pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I do recommend the pattern. I look forward to seeing your version.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE everything about this gorgeous dress!! It has a lovely 'Wow' factor and you look beautiful in this style and color. All 'heart eyes' for those sleeves!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa. I must make more in this style.

      Delete
  12. Really lovely dress. And what fun and flattering sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jean, you look lovely! You look like you've lost weight...not that you need to but this dress is so flattering on you! Well done and I think I have this and must make it for spring...which will come in a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue. It is a flattering design but yes, I have lost a few kilos over the last few months. Trying to stick to a mostly plant based diet to keep healthy after my cancer scare in 2016. It would make a lovely spring dress and I look forward to seeing your version.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful dress and the style is very flattering. This is the only way I would wear the statement sleeves, as I don't think they would get in the food LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. The sleeves are great and didn't fall in my dinner at all.

      Delete
  15. pg slot ą¹€ąø§็ąøšąø•ąø£ąø‡ąø­ัąø™ąø”ัąøš 1 ą¹€ąø”ื่ąø­ąøžูąø”ąø–ึąø‡ąø„ąø§ąø²ąø”ąøšัąø™ą¹€ąø—ิąø‡ąø­ąø­ąø™ą¹„ąø„ąø™์ ą¹„ąø”่ąøŖąø²ąø”ąø²ąø£ąø–ąø—ี่ąøˆąø°ą¹„ąø”่ąøžูąø”ąø–ึąø‡ąøŖąø„็ąø­ąø•ąø­ąø­ąø™ą¹„ąø„ąø™์ą¹„ąø”้ PG SLOT ą¹€ąøąø”ąøŖąø„็ąø­ąø•ą¹„ąø”้ąøąø„ąø²ąø¢ą¹€ąø›็ąø™ąø«ąø™ึ่ąø‡ą¹ƒąø™ą¹€ąøąø”ąø„ąø²ąøŖิą¹‚ąø™ąø—ี่ąø™ิąø¢ąø”ą¹ąø„ąø°ą¹€ąø›็ąø™ąø—ี่ąø™ิąø¢ąø”ąø”ąø²ąøąø—ี่ąøŖุąø”ą¹ƒąø™ąø¢ุąø„ąø›ัąøˆąøˆุąøšัąø™ąø™ี้

    ReplyDelete