I started this shirt back in April, but my husband had an accident while out on a mountain bike ride, fracturing his pelvis. He spent four days in hospital and then required a lot of help at home to do just about everything. Needless to say, my sewing had to be put on the back burner for a few weeks. Glad to say he has recovered well and is now back at work.
I made this version with the same adjustments as I made for my 2nd version. This time I avoided using a poly cotton blend, and chose this pretty Japanese Lawn (Cluster Floral Pink) 100% cotton, from Spotlight.
It was really hard to photograph this pretty fabric as the light is so harsh at this time of the year. I'm really happy with the shape and fit of the shirt.
Instead of buttons, I used these pretty pink snaps that I had in my stash. They were such a good match and I love how they turned out. I only had nine of them, and I needed 8, 6 for the front and 1 for each cuff. I managed to wreck the first one by trying to install it upside down, so the pressure was on to not make anymore mistakes.
All the top stitching was done in white thread. I did add a little extra width to the side seams and arm seams, when cutting out, so that I could do proper flat felled seams.
I love how flat felling makes the inside look as neat as the outside. It's well worth the effort even if it is a bit fiddly sewing down the length of the sleeve.
I found it works out fine if you take it slowly and let the fabric bunch up behind the foot as you go along. I'm really happy with how this Archer turned out and I have worn it a few times already. All the photos were taken by my husband down at our local beach.
While I was scrolling through Facebook the other day, I stumbled upon a funny coincidence. This add popped up for a new movie "The Shack" and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the actress was wearing my shirt. I'm sure it is the same fabric.