Thursday 21 May 2015

Vogue 1247 in Buttersuede

The Vogue 1247 skirt is a very popular pattern and I can see why. This is my second version of this cute and practical skirt. You can see my first version here.




I made this version specially to go with my floral Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket. This jacket has been a bit of an orphan in my wardrobe and was in desperate need of some matching garments to pair it with. When I saw this khaki butter suede during a visit to Spotlight last year, I knew it would be a great match. I don't know why it has taken me this long to sew it up.



This time I made a straight size 16. I did lengthen it considerably from the original pattern. I was a little concerned during construction, that it may be a bit lightweight for this skirt. I didn't shave any off the side seams (like I did in my previous version) because I wanted it to be a looser fit so that it would hang nicely. But I think it has turned out OK.



The fabric has an interesting texture and a definite nap. Similar to velvet, but much lighter weight. I did struggle a bit with static electricity while wearing this skirt, even after spraying it with anti static spray. Hopefully this was due to the dry and windy weather we had been having.



I am a little disappointed with my invisible zip insertion. I only had a black zip on hand and it is not very invisible. Too impatient to wait a few days to get a more appropriate colour. At least my jacket covers most of it. I hand stitched the hem for a neater finish but this was quite tedious and difficult to keep the stitches invisible on the fabric. Still, I think it looks better than a top stitched hem on this skirt.



My first outing in my new skirt was last Sunday...the most perfect Autumn day. The weather was absolutely beautiful. I met up with a girlfriend for lunch and we then went for a walk along the boardwalk around Wagonga Inlet at Narooma. I wore my new skirt with my Scout Woven Tee in cream spun rayon and my floral denim Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket. Hopefully I will get some more wear out of my Jacket now it has a matching skirt.

Happy Sewing

16 comments:

  1. Your new skirt goes with your jacket perfectly. That's a great idea - I also have 'orphan' clothing items and I really should make things to coordinate with them. But that would mean I have to think before sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie. Sometimes it is too easy to sew garments on a whim which leads to a wardrobe full of orphans. I am starting to realise that it is far more practical to sew garments that will fit in with other garments that you already have.

      Delete
  2. You can always stitch another line of stitching closer to the teeth and paint nail polish on the pull tab. I often insert the invisible zipper first with stitches further away than normal just for the fit and then go back and make closer ones for the finish, especially in wedding gowns that could use 2 rows! Your skirt looks so nice with the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much mrsmole for stopping by and sharing some of your invaluable advice. Very much appreciated. I will give it a go.

      Delete
  3. The whole outfit is very pretty and the skirt is great with that jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great outfit. I've had several skirts in something similar to your butter suede over the years, and they have all been fabulous to wear. I'm sure yours will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great to hear Sewingelle. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I love this skirt pattern, and it looks fabulous in this material. Looks great with that pretty jacket! I agree that it's a brilliant idea to sew up some matches for those orphan pieces in our wardrobes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Melwyk. I will be trying to avoid creating orphan garments from now on.

      Delete
  6. I love this whole outfit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very pretty. :) I love the length and the pockets!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nakisha. The pockets are a cute detail.

      Delete
  8. This skirt always looks fantastic, and I have to admit I do like your version in butter suede - it really works for this style. Enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete