Thursday 8 August 2013

Lacy Tee

Well, I have finally had some success with New Look 6735.



This is a great pattern offering several garments in the one package. I have only tried the skirt and the short sleeved tee so far.




My previous attempt at sewing this Tee was not entirely successful. The fabric I used had a very poor recovery and the neckline stretched terribly while attaching the neck band. I managed to save it by pinching out a dart at the centre front of the neckband which sort of turned it into a design feature. Ha Ha.



Here it is with the six gored skirt. I love the skirt. It has a lovely shape and with an elastic waist is really comfortable to wear.



For my latest attempt I used a super stretchy, lacy knit purchased from my local Bargain Box Fabrics. I thought this would be a real pain to sew but it was actually no trouble at all. The neckline turned out very well.

There is a seam at centre back which is great for fine tuning the fit. I made a size 12 with no alterations. The front piece is slightly gathered at the side seam at bust level, to add extra room for the bust. Instead of basting two rows and pulling up the gathers, I simply stretched the front piece to fit the back piece as I sewed the side seams. This worked quite well and eliminated a fiddly step. 



Here is a close up to show the lovely lacy knit.


I'm quite happy with my new Lacy Tee.

Happy Sewing

14 comments:

  1. What a great little pattern to know about! Your new lacy tee is perfect and the fit is spot on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I'm sure I will be using this pattern many times in the future. Great to have a pattern that offers so many options.

      Delete
  2. Ooh. I love that fabric. The neckline turned out perfect! Nice sleeve. Just a great t!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cissie. I love the fabric too. It's very comfortable and it has great recovery so it doesn't stretch out of shape with wear.

      Delete
  3. Totally a design feature on the teal top!!! I really like the white tee fabric - subtle, textured - it elevates the simple t-shirt design to another level. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Design feature...yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Ha Ha. Thanks June for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  4. Your tee shirt looks great on you! I have that pattern but have not yet used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. You must give this pattern a try, I'm sure you will love it.

      Delete
  5. I love your nice white top. Very fresh. I also like it in the blue with the "design feature". Glad I have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great pattern. Your lacy top is lovely, and the fit is fantastic. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Meigan. The lacy stretch fabric was lovely to work with and it made a basic T-Shirt into something a bit special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really pretty top! I am on the hunt for a good basic fitted tee pattern and think this one may do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui. This is a good basic fitted tee pattern which can be made quite special with the right fabric.

      Delete